Searching...
Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Grandma Lu Funeral

My Grandma Lu passed away this past week. She was over 91 years old and loved by many people in her church and family. She left an amazing legacy.


I spoke briefly at her funeral with these words (approximately, since I spoke from very abbreviated notes:

I am honored to be here in this church. I have fond memories of being here when I was very little. You see, when I got to sleep over night at my grandma lu's house, if it was a saturday night, we would always, always come here to church on sunday morning. That was always a special time because my grandma would make me feel like a little tiny rock star - she would show me around to all her friends and let me shake hands with the pastor on the way out. when I was little, that was practically like shaking hands with Jesus.

When we came here to church, my grandma would always make sure I had some coins to put in the offering plate and of course made sure I understood to be quiet and listen politely. she was a stickler for behavior and she would tell me that I dasn't do this or that and I think I mostly was able to follow the rules because I kept getting invited back.

And I am so thankful that I did because those times coming here with my grandma were the beginning seeds in my faith life. Over the years God watered those seeds and others that He planted and grew them in me to produce a heart for Jesus and a love of his people and really of all people. As I was reflecting the past few days about the seeds that my grandma planted, I saw a striking parallel in the one of the parables that Jesus told. The Parable of the Sower. Jesus talks about a farmer going out to sow his seed. Some seed is sown on the path and is snatched away by birds. Some is sowed on rocky soil and though it springs up quickly, it withers because it lacks roots. Some seed falls among thorns where it is choked out. But some falls on good soil where it takes root and produces a crop - 30, 60 or 100 times what was sown.

Now most times when I've read or heard this parable, my tendency has been to focus on the soil. And I think this is the common view - deciding if we are good soil. But here is a hidden gem. What is the deal with the farmer throwing the seed all over the place? I mean, that's good seed - we can tell because it can produce fruit, right? Hidden in this parable is the idea that the farmer sows his seed with generosity and without regard to where it falls. And that it something I have seen in my Grandma's life. Over 40 years ago, she was sharing church with me and during the last years of her life, she continued to bring people to church at the senior home where she lived. She sowed seeds of the gospel without regard to the soil, because the seed itself is so good, it is worth sowing generously. As followers of Christ, we are called to imitate Him and Jesus himself  healed and  ministered to people  from ALL walks of life. Over the years, as my grandma's family was expanded by marriage and births, she continued to sow generously. She loved us all, cared for all us, and gave so many beautiful gifts of time and possessions.

Although she is now gone from our physical presence, the seeds she generously sowed, because of their great value, continue to bloom and bear fruit. This allows her blessing and legacy to live on and multiply. If she planted seeds of faith in you, be sure to water and tend them. Those seeds are of great value and although it is not stated in the parable, I believe they can survive long periods of dormancy. They certainly did in me and others  like my late uncle  john. . I am grateful to have had Grandma Lu in my life 
And for the good seed she generously planted in so many people.  May God  continue to grow what she planted in us all  by the redeeming power of the risen  Lord Jesus.
Some of the great grandkids were asked to sing Jesus Loves Me during the service. I normally do not take photos or videos at events like this but I broke my own rule and filmed it.

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

 
Back to top!