Searching...
Wednesday, May 07, 2014
Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Teamwork and Creativity

We had a mini family pow-wow this afternoon about the topic of respecting other people’s space as it relates to not barging into each other’s bedrooms. I asked everyone to brainstorm ideas about how to encourage each other to knock before entering. (Instead of yelling at each other when they didn’t.) They were surprised to find out I could get on board with them handing out Lifesaver mints to each other. Since it was not my idea, and I would not be handing them out, I was glad to support their plan to dispense treats to each other for a job well done. I don’t know why but these mints seem to be a really great motivator! We started getting them when school said they could have mints during standardized tests for better concentration. Somewhere along the line, they started calling them Javos. Nobody seems to know why.

I saw two bowls of Javos going into the upstairs bedrooms and thought that their plan was complete. However, I was surprised and delighted to see that Natalie and Lauren had built mechanical Javo dispensers by their doors out of found materials in the house including duct tape, paper tubes, popsicle sticks and Construx building parts.

I love that I am seeing them creatively solve problems without me needing to be their motivator or reward system (or policewoman) AND that they are making it fun and creative too.

javo

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

 
Back to top!